Vehicle purchase and Registration
garbage image New vehicles
Because vehicle registration procedure is complicate, foreigners who purchase new cars are recommended to ask dealers to make registration on their behalf. Acquisition tax (2%), registration tax (5%) and Rail road bond (20%) are imposed on buyers.

※ Required documentation (Vehicles made in korea)
-Vehicle Manufacture’s Certificate of Origin
-Permit for Temporary Operation/temporary plate
-Certificate of Alien Registration
-Certificate of insurance
Used vehicles
It’s not a duty of the used car dealers to register vehicles on behalf of their customers. However, they generally provide vehicle registration service. Foreigners are recommended to go with interpreters to a vehicle registration office in their district. A fine is supposed to be imposed on the buyers if he fails to register the vehicle within 15 days from the contract date. Acquisition tax(2%), registration tax(5%) and rail road bond(6%) are imposed on the buyer.
※Required documentation
Certificate of Vehicle Registration
Certificate of Alien Registration
Bill of Sale(Stamped with seller’s registered seal)
Certificate of registered seal(in the case that the seller can’t go with the buyer to the vehicle registration office in the buyer’s district)
※Yongsan-gu : Vehicle Registration Team Transportation Administration Division (TEL 02-710-3483 4)
Negligence fine when reporting of change is delayed
Violation type Duration and number of violation Amount of negligence fine
Address, name, registration number, delayed reporting of diverse types of changes including change in nationality 15-90 days KRW 20,000
Every third day, KRW 10,000 is added if payment is not made Up to KRW 300,000
When the violation of same time was made more than twice Up to KRW 450,000
Parking violation
Initial registration image Negligence fines will be imposed on vehicles parked on the road where parking line is not drawn. The vehicles may be even towed away. Please use parking spaces when parking.
※ Negligence fine for parking violation
Vehicle types Negligence fine
Bus KRW 50,000
Passenger car KRW 40,000
Motorcycle KRW 30,000
Bicycle, etc. KRW 20,000
When your vehicle is towed
Initial registration image When a vehicle that violated parking regulation was towed, a notice is attached to the location where the vehicle was parked. The notice includes information on the location of the towed vehicle. To retrieve the vehicle, the following must be submitted: Driver’s License, Certificate of Alien Registration if the license is not Korean, towing fee (KRW 40,000-115,000, depending upon the size of the vehicle. A storage fee of KRW 700 is added every 30 minutes. In addition, one or two months later, parking violation fee of KRW 40,000-50,000 must be paid after receiving a notice sent by mail.
※ Towing and storage fees
Violation type Towing fee Storage fee
Less than 2.5 tons KRW 40,000 KRW 700 per 30 minutes (up to KRW 500,000 per towing)
2.5-6.5 tons KRW 46,000 (up to KRW 500,000 per towing)
6.5-10 tons KRW 66,000 KRW 1,200 per 30 minutes (up to KRW 500,000 per towing)
More than 10 tons KRW 115,000 KRW 1,200 per 30 minutes (up to KRW 500,000 per towing)
Automobile insurance
Procedure for becoming a member of an automobile insurance plan is almost identical for Koreans and foreigners alike. After making inquiries to insurance companies, bring passport and Certificate of Alien Registration to subscribe to an insurance.
Insurance companies Telephones
Green Fire and Marine Insurance 1588-5959
Daehan Fire & Marine Insurance 02-778-8572
Dongbu Insurance 1588-0100
LG Insurance 1544-0114
Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance  1588-5114
Hanhwa Non-life Insurance 1566-8000
Traffic laws
Right lane is for driving and left lane is often used as passing lane.
Drivers and people seated in passenger seats must fasten their seat belts.
Traffic laws
Korea’s traffic laws and traffic signals are identical with those in advanced industrialized countries.
Korea’s traffic laws are available from
※ Necessary When serious car accidents occur
-Help injured people first.
-Report it to the police(dial 112): if anyone is injured, call for an ambulance(dial 119)
-Take the picture of the accident site and move the vehicle to the roadside.
-Contact the insurance company.
-Request Driver’s License to the other party and record name, telephone number, and plate number.
Motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles
Wearing helmet is a requirement when driving two-wheeled vehicle in Korea. Otherwise, a fine has to be paid. Furthermore, all traffic regulations are applied to motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles. In general, two-wheeled vehicles cannot be driven in roads such as expressways, which are exclusively used by automobiles. Violators will be fined.