To protect the environment, disposal of garbage is controlled. Depending upon the amount of garbage emitted by houses and workplaces, the amount of payment for garbage collection differs. Garbage must be disposed of in separate bags and placed in a pre-determined location. Garbage must be placed inside official bags based on “the measured rate system.” The bags are available from designated supermarkets and shops. Yongsan-gu’s garbage bags can be used only in Yongsan-gu.
Garbage bags for residential use are available in sizes of 5, 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, and 100 liters. Garbage bags for workplaces are available in sizes of 50, 75, and 100 liters. Furthermore, food garbage must be placed in garbage bags of size 2, 3, 5, and 10 liters, which were specifically made for food garbage disposal. In addition, 50 liter bags for small amount of waste from construction sites and glasses are available. Garbage bags must be placed in collection areas from 18:00 p.m. to 24:00 a.m. (There is no restriction in apartments.) Garbage for recycling can be divided into papers, plastic materials, glasses, and metals. In apartments, there are collection boxes for each of these categories. Foreign substance should not be included in the garbage for recycling and the size of garbage must be minimized.
Recyclable garbage is of four types: papers, plastic materials, glasses, and metals.
- Papers: newspapers, books, corrugated fiberboard, envelopes, packaging papers, paper milk boxes (bind by a string and put in a corrugated fiberboard boxes)
- Plastics: PET bottles, plastic milk bottles, styrofoam, other plastic materials, etc. (lids or labels that are not plastic should be removed before disposal; shampoo and detergent boxes must be rinsed by water before disposal)
- Glasses: glass bottles for drinks, etc.(bottles that contained wine, soft drinks, and medicine must be rinsed before disposal; broken glasses are not accepted)
- Metals: metal pieces and cans must be flattened before disposal; toxic materials or other foreign substances must be removed before disposal
After removing all moisture, food waste must be placed in food garbage bags of 2, 3, 5, and 10 liter size before disposal.
Oversized garbage such as furniture and large electrical household goods(TV, air conditioner, refrigerator, washing machine) are collected by government offices. Application for disposing of oversized garbage can be made online or by visiting dong Community Service Center in your district. Attach “Certificate of oversized garbage Disposal Report” on the wastes when disposing of oversized garbage. Teams in charge of oversized garbage collection operated by dong Community Service Center will collect the garbages. small electrical household goods (computer, audio, microwave) are be possible discharge without a certificate of registration.
Reporting at dong Community Service Center
- Visit dong Community Service Center in your district
- Fill out application form
- Pay related fee
- Receive stickers to be attached on the materials to be disposed of.
- On the assigned collection date, attach “Certificate of oversized garbage Disposal Report” on the material to be disposed of and place it on the collection site.
- Access the website of Yongsan-gu (http://www.yongsan.go.kr)
- On the menu, click oversized garbage disposal application
- Fill out application form (name, identification number, telephone number, address, etc.)
- Fill out details (type of waste, amount, date of disposal, other)
- Method of payment (bank account transfer, credit card)
- Print “Certificate of oversized garbage Disposal Report”
- On the designated collection date, attach “Certificate of oversized garbage Disposal Report” on the material to be disposed of and place it on the collection site.