Administrative Info

International marriage

HOME Administrative Info International marriage

In order for a South Korean national and a foreign national to register their marriage in South Korea, the following documents must be submitted to the district office: Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage (issued by the government of the foreign national); a copy of the Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage translated into Korean; the original passport of the foreign national; the ID card of the Korean national; and the Application for Marriage, bearing the signatures of two witnesses.

A Certificate of Marriage will be issued once the marriage registration has been completed. South Korean nationality is not automatically extended to a foreign national based on his/her marriage to a South Korean national. The acquisition of South Korean nationality requires the approval of the Ministry of Justice.